Location: West Africa
Application Deadline: 19th February 2024
Type of Contract: Full-time service contract
Department: African Division
Post Level: Officer Cadre
Languages Required: French (Mandatory), English
Duration of Initial Contract: One year initially (Extendable)
Yiaga Africa stands as a non-profit civic hub comprising change-makers dedicated to advancing democratic governance, human rights, and civic engagement. Originally founded as a student organization in 2007 at the University of Jos, Nigeria, Yiaga Africa has evolved into a prominent civil society entity on the African continent. Since its establishment, the organization has distinguished itself as a forefront non-profit championing participatory democracy, human rights, and civic involvement.
Situated in Abuja, Nigeria, Yiaga Africa concentrates on extensive research, critical analysis of democratic and governance issues, and the development of practical solutions. It also emphasizes training and empowering citizens to take on leadership roles in effecting change within their communities. Implementing various innovative programs, Yiaga Africa actively encourages citizenship participation, safeguards human rights, and enhances democratic governance. The organization places a strategic focus on building networks and fostering social movements to instigate social change and transformation.
With leadership structures and members spanning all 36 states and 774 Local Government Areas (LGA) of Nigeria, Yiaga Africa extends its operations to several countries across the African continent. Recognized as an independent non-profit organization, Yiaga Africa is registered in Nigeria, underscoring its commitment to promoting positive societal change.
In our aspiration to become the future equivalent of Yiaga Africa, we are actively seeking a candidate who is both creative-minded and experienced, possessing a strong background in program management, to join our dynamic team.
We are in search of an outstanding individual to contribute to the Programs division of our African Division in the capacity of a Program Officer, operating under the guidance of the Africa Program Coordinator. The Program Officer’s role is pivotal within Yiaga Africa, involving engagement in program development, exploration of innovative approaches to achieve program objectives, assistance in grants acquisition and proposal preparation, and active participation in project management. Their responsibility extends to ensuring that the organization’s activities and programs align seamlessly with its vision and mission statement. Collaborating with a project development team, the Program Officer will take charge of project management, overseeing daily activities according to their designated roles. Close collaboration with the Program Coordinator and other departments is imperative to develop, maintain, and ensure the implementation of projects within the budget, including the review and execution of grant proposals and impact documentation.
Program Officers play a crucial role in building and sustaining partnerships and relationships, both internally and externally. This involves establishing connections with other projects, non-profit organizations, project beneficiaries, and state and non-state actors in Africa. Additionally, Program Officers contribute to expanding knowledge and raising public awareness about the initiatives undertaken by Yiaga Africa.
If you possess the requisite skills and experience to thrive as a Program Officer within our organisation, we encourage you to apply promptly.
This position is for twelve (12) months, with the possibility of renewal contingent upon performance and funding availability. The expected commitment is 40 hours per week, and the position offers a competitive salary in line with industry standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directly manage and implement project activities.
- Coordinate project field activities with the Program Coordinator and relevant project
- Support with the development of training manuals and related materials.
- Support with project monitoring, documenting project impact in preparing project activity reports.
- Conduct outreach and engagement of project stakeholders, beneficiaries, and field support team.
- Conduct capacity-building activities, which include training, facilitating, and public speaking.
- Support the Program Coordinator in driving advocacy initiatives within the organisation’s project(s).
- Track the implementation of activities assigned to you by the Program Coordinator.
- Support the development of policy briefs
- Support the development of IEC material for outreach and advocacy.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the values and ethical standards of Yiaga Africa.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of Yiaga Africa.
- Displays gender, region, religion/belief, race, nationality, culture, and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Organizes and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while considering special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources, and multiple reporting relationships.
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines.
- Establishes, builds, and maintains effective working relationships with staff, partners, and beneficiaries.
- Focuses on results.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Remains calm, in control, and good-humoured even under pressure.
- Demonstrates commitment to growth and ability to manage complexities.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Solicits feedback from staff about the impact of their behaviour.
Required Skills and Experience
- Program officers need a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Law, Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities, or related fields.
- A minimum of three(3) years of professional experience managing projects and teams.
- A background in fundraising and a previous position as a program officer in a non-profit industry is a plus.
- Experience with engaging with regional and continental organisations such as the Economic Community for West Africa States (ECOWAS) and the African Union (AU).
Proficiency/Fluency in written and spoken French and English. Proficiency in any other African language will be a plus.
How to apply
Interested candidates should fill out the job application form and upload their detailed resume containing their LinkedIn ID, Age, Address, and the contact of referees in MS Word documents here. Submission should be concluded on or before Monday, February 19, 2024. Only applications sent in the required format will be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Visit the webpage for more information here.