The National Assembly Joint Committee on Electoral Matters, with the support of Yiaga Africa and the European Union, specially invites citizens, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), political parties, civil society organizations, development partners, etc. to a Citizens’ Townhall on Electoral Matters.
This platform will create a platform for a national conversation on the reforms required for improving Nigeria’s electoral process; facilitate a consultative process for identifying the ambiguity, complexities and inadequacies in the electoral legal framework, which includes the Constitution and the Electoral Act 2022; and directly engage with citizens to highlight priorities for electoral reforms in the 10th National Assembly.
Presentations at the town hall should be structured but not limited to the following themes:
- Unbundling the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)
- Mode of appointment of the INEC chairman and commissioners
- Voting rights and inclusivity
- Early voting and diaspora voting
- Voter registration and voter register
- Nomination of candidates
- Electoral technology
- Ballot management
- Election results management
- Electoral offences prosecution
- Pre-election and post-election litigation
- Election security
- Violence, voter suppression and vote-buying
- Hate speech, disinformation and fake news
To participate in person, register via this link.
You can also submit a memorandum to firstname.lastname@example.org or join the conversation on social media using the hashtag #ElectoralReformNG