Call for Application: Media and Communication Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Application Deadline: May 17, 2023
Type of Contract: Full-time
Department: Media and Communications
Post Level: Support
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: One year initially (Extendable)
Yiaga Africa is a non-profit civic hub of change-makers committed to promoting democratic governance, human rights and civic engagement. With its operational base in Abuja, Nigeria, Yiaga Africa focuses on in-depth research, critically analysing critical democratic and governance issues, crafting practical solutions, and training and empowering citizens to lead change in their community. Yiaga Africa implements several innovative programs to stimulate active citizenship, protect human rights and deepen democratic governance. We invest in building networks and social movements to drive social change and transformation. Yiaga Africa has leadership structures and members in all 36 states and 774 Local Government Areas (LGA) of Nigeria.
Yiaga Africa is committed to achieving a diverse, vibrant, innovative, and engaged workforce working to achieve the organization’s vision of a people-driven, developed, and democratic Africa. We promote gender, nationality, religion/belief, culture, and other forms of diversity.
For this role, young women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Yiaga Africa does not tolerate sexual exploitation and harassment, abuse, or harassment and discrimination. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference, background checks, and training.
In our vision to be the Yiaga Africa of the future, we seek an exceptional candidate to provide support to our Media and Communications Department as a Media and Communication Officer.
The Media and Communication Officer, under the supervision of the Senior Communication Officer, will be responsible for promoting public understanding and support for the activities of Yiaga Africa by disseminating Yiaga Africa’s information materials to local audiences; engaging local and regional partners; and, overall, bringing Yiaga Africa closer to the people it serves.
If you have the required skills and experiences to excel as a Media and Communication Officer in our organization, do apply now!
The position is for one year initially, subject to renewal based on performance and funding availability. The post holder would be expected to work 40 hours a week. The position has a competitive salary as obtainable in the industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the development and implementation of global communication strategies and campaigns on social media platforms to engage with local audiences on Yiaga Africa priority issues and/or major events, including the coordination of activities, monitoring, and reporting on progress, taking appropriate follow-up actions, and analyzing the outcomes.
- Provides specialized assistance in the production and delivery of information communications products and services on social media platforms.
- Researches a broad scope of information sources, printed and electronic; compiles and presents information for use in the preparation and production of communications products/services for external audiences on social media platforms.
- Develop content to promote active engagement in the online community
- Assists in the organizing and implementing of social media-related campaigns and events, coordinating with diverse partners.
- Collects and produces content for social media platforms, including in local languages and various formats (e.g. infographic, video, etc.), including proposing topics, undertaking research, writing drafts, production of content (graphic design, audio/video editing, etc), obtaining clearances, editing copy, and coordinating design approval, translation procedures, and distribution.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of communication campaigns on social media platforms by selecting appropriate and relevant excerpts of speeches and statements and coordinating the translation/adaptation of materials from other sources.
- Assists in public information/outreach and engagement with the public, putting together exhibits based on materials from Yiaga Africa’s presentations, etc.
- Assists in managing the development and updating of internal databases; updates content on social media platforms; generates a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases.
- Assist in setting up interviews and press conferences for all of Yiaga Africa’s projects
- Develop special reports, documentaries, or case studies for Yiaga Africa’s projects
- Acts as a focal point on social media matters, monitoring and reporting on the latest trends and developments, responding to queries, and participating in the monitoring and evaluation of the impact of Yiaga Africa campaigns on social media.
- Other Responsibilities as Assigned.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the values and ethical standards of Yiaga Africa.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of Yiaga Africa.
- Displays gender, regional, religion/belief, race, nationality, culture, age sensitivity, and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan, and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform various standard tasks related to the provision of media services.
- Good knowledge of Yiaga Africa media rules and regulations.
- Good IT skills.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control, and good-humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in communications, journalism, public relations, digital media, or a related field
- An advanced degree in communications, journalism, public relations, digital media, or a related field is desirable
- At least five(5) years or more experience in an international NGO’s Media & Communication department is preferred.
- Proven experience being a member of an effective communication team, impact storytelling, and development journalism
- Familiarity with office machines (e.g. scanners, printers, cameras etc.)
- Proficient in English (oral and written)
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office and related media packages
- Experience creating content for digital publishing formats and/or platforms, including adapting briefing notes, press releases, and speeches for social media and/or websites, is required.
- Experience in digital photography/video is an added advantage.
- Experience in graphic design and/or desktop publishing utilizing Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, and/or comparable computer software is desirable.
- Experience in video editing utilizing Adobe Premiere and/or comparable computer software is desirable.
- Outstanding knowledge of best practices in communication and branding
- Advanced knowledge and experience in social media marketing and engagement
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple projects within tight deadlines
Fluency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in French and/or any other language will be a plus.
How to apply
Interested candidates should fill out the job application form and upload their detailed
resume containing their LinkedIn ID, Age, Address, and the contact of referees in Ms Word
documents here. Submission should be concluded on or before May 17, 2023.
Only applications sent in the required format will be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Application will be considered on a rolling basis. Only candidates resident in Abuja will be considered.
Visit the webpage for more information here