Call for Application: Facility Management Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Application Deadline: September 19, 2023.
Type of Contract: Full-time
Department: Human Resources and Administration
Post Level: Officer
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: One year initially (Extendable)
Yiaga Africa is a non-profit civic hub of change-makers committed to promoting democratic governance, human rights and civic engagement. With its operational base in Abuja, Nigeria, Yiaga Africa focuses on in-depth research, critically analyzing critical democratic and governance issues, crafting practical solutions, and training and empowering citizens to lead change in their community. Yiaga Africa implements several innovative programs to stimulate active citizenship, protect human rights and deepen democratic governance. We invest in building networks and social movements to drive social change and transformation. Yiaga Africa has leadership structures and members in all 36 states and 774 Local Government Areas (LGA) of Nigeria.
Yiaga Africa is committed to achieving a diverse, vibrant, innovative, and engaged workforce working to achieve the organization’s vision of a people-driven, developed, and democratic Africa. We promote gender, nationality, religion/belief, culture, and other forms of diversity.
For this role, young women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Yiaga Africa does not tolerate sexual exploitation and harassment, abuse, or harassment and discrimination. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference, background checks, and training.
In our vision to be the Yiaga Africa of the future, we seek to hire a creative-minded and experienced candidate with an excellent Facility Management background to join our team.
We seek an exceptional candidate to support the Administration arm of our Human Resources and Administration Department as a Facility Management Officer, under the supervision of the Head of Human Resources and Administration. The successful candidate will assist the Human Resources and Administration department in overseeing and maintaining the organization’s facilities. They will take care of the buildings and grounds to maintain them regularly, including specific departments, parking areas and specialized equipment. They may also coordinate any third-party service providers that the organization might use to maintain the property. These professionals will ensure that the environment is safe and that all aspects of an organization correctly operate so that business can continue effectively and efficiently. If you have the required skills and experiences to excel as a Facility Management Officer in our organization, apply now!
The position is for Twelve (12) months, subject to renewal based on performance and funding availability. The post holder would be expected to work 40 hours a week. The position has a competitive salary as obtainable in the industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
A Facility Management officer is responsible for overseeing the operations and maintenance of various aspects of a facility, such as buildings, equipment, systems, and services. Their role is crucial in ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the facility. The list below is not an exhaustible outline but a highlight of the critical areas of their responsibilities:
- Facility Operations:
- Monitor and manage day-to-day facility operations, including maintenance, repairs, security, and cleanliness.
- Coordinate and oversee facility services such as cleaning, waste management, landscaping, and pest control.
- Ensure compliance with health, safety, and environmental regulations and implement appropriate measures.
- Maintenance and Repairs:
- Develop and execute a preventive maintenance program to ensure the ongoing functionality of equipment, systems, and infrastructure.
- Coordinate and oversee routine maintenance tasks, inspections, and repairs to address any issues promptly.
- Liaise with external contractors and vendors for specialized maintenance and repair services.
- Keep accurate records of maintenance activities, equipment warranties, and service contracts.
- Space Planning and Utilization:
- Optimize the use of available space within the facility, ensuring efficient allocation and utilization.
- Coordinate office moves, renovations, and reconfigurations, ensuring minimal disruption to operations.
- Ensure compliance with accessibility standards and regulations for the facility.
- Facility Projects and Capital Improvements:
- Plan, manage, and oversee facility-related projects, renovations, and capital improvements.
- Develop project scopes, budgets, and timelines, and coordinate resources to ensure successful execution.
- Conduct research, evaluate proposals, and make recommendations for facility upgrades and improvements.
- Emergency Preparedness and Safety:
- Develop and implement emergency response plans and procedures, including evacuation plans, fire safety, and disaster recovery.
- Conduct regular safety inspections, identify potential hazards, and implement corrective measures.
- Coordinate with relevant authorities and agencies to ensure compliance with safety regulations and standards.
- Stakeholder Management and Communication:
- Act as a point of contact for internal stakeholders, addressing facility-related inquiries, requests, and concerns.
- Collaborate with various departments and teams to understand their needs and provide appropriate facility support.
- Communicate effectively with external stakeholders, such as vendors, contractors, and regulatory agencies.
- Sustainability and Energy Management:
- Identify and implement sustainable practices and energy-efficient initiatives to reduce environmental impact.
- Monitor energy consumption, water usage, and recycling programs.
- Explore and recommend strategies to improve facility sustainability and achieve relevant certifications.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the values and ethical standards of Yiaga Africa.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of Yiaga Africa.
- Displays gender, region, religion/belief, race, nationality, culture, age sensitivity, and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Share knowledge and experience.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on a learning plan, and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform various standard tasks related to the provision of facility management services.
- Good knowledge of Yiaga Africa’s facility management rules and regulations.
- Good IT skills.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on results for the organization and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control, and good-humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in any related field
- An advanced degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field is desirable
- Must possess professional certifications, e.g. CFM, CPFM, CBMM, FMA or IFMA-SFP. HSE certification will be an added advantage.
- At least five (5) years or more related experience, including 3 years in a supervisory position in an international NGO is preferred.
- Excellent project management skills
- Must have excellent organizational, supervisory, leadership, and managerial skills.
- Familiarity with office machines (e.g. scanners, printers, etc.)
- Knowledge of office and building management
- Proficient in English (oral and written)
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office packages (especially Excel and Word)
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
- Time management
- Ability to multitask
Fluency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in Hausa or French will be a plus.
How to apply
Interested candidates should fill out the job application form and upload their detailed
resume containing their LinkedIn ID, Age, Address, and the contact of referees in MS Word
documents here. Submission should be concluded on or before September 19, 2023.
Only applications sent in the required format will be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Application will be considered on a rolling basis. Only candidates resident in Abuja will be considered.