Call for Applications for Zonal Programme Officers
Yiaga Africa Initiative seeks the services of a Zonal Programme Officer to support the implementation of an election observation project for the 2023 general election, including the deployment of the parallel vote tabulation to enhance electoral integrity in Nigeria. The position is for an initial period of twelve (12) months; subject to renewal based on performance and the availability of funding.
To promote broad public participation and enhance public confidence in the conduct of elections, Yiaga Africa will undertake a comprehensive observation of the 2023 Nigeria general election including systematic observation of voting and counting at a representative random sample of polling units using the PVT methodology and employing information and communication technologies (ICTs). The observation will provide the public, political parties, and electoral authorities with systematic, state-wide information on the conduct of the opening of polling stations, the voting process, and the counting of ballots, as well as verification of the official results based on statistical estimates using official results from a nation-wide representative random sample of polling stations.
- The zonal programme officer shall work with the Watching The Vote Team in Yiaga Africa’s office based in Abuja and shall oversee the activities of the state focal persons in the assigned zone for effective implementation of the election observation Project.
- The zonal programme officer shall take the lead in developing and maintaining a database for members of Local Government Area Supervisors and polling unit observers in the assigned zone.
- He/she shall work with other team members at the Yiaga Africa office to schedule, plan and execute all training programs in the assigned zone.
- He/she shall work with other members of the Watching The Vote team to compile and generate a draft report for the ongoing Continuous Voter Registration Exercise, Presidential Elections and the final project report.
- He/she shall manage the State Focal Points, local government supervisors and election observers in the assigned zone and ensure the accreditation and deployment of observers on election days.
- He/she shall work as a data manager at the National Data Center on Election Day.
Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of five (5) years of cognate experience in democracy and good governance, or a related field.
- Degree in law, political science, social sciences, humanities or any related field.
- Experience in working on elections or democratic governance is an advantage
- Proven experience and knowledge in Parallel Vote Tabulation (PVT) or other forms of election observation model would be an advantage
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Excellent knowledge of project management and development
- Strong analytical and report writing skills
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Ability to manage logistics
- Excellent IT skills with proficiency in MS Office
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Detail-oriented and efficient
- Self-motivated and ability to work without close supervision
The offer is for initial 12 months and begins from June 1st, 2022, to ends on May 30th, 2023, extension is subject to renewal based on performance and the availability of funding. He/she is expected to work for 40 hours a week. The position has a competitive salary as obtainable in the industry.
Qualified Candidates should send:
- A curriculum vitae containing three referees
- A cover letter describing why he/she is most qualified for the position, a summary of relevant experience and suitability for the position applied for.
Electronic applications address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications must reach Yiaga Africa on or Before Tuesday, May 17, 2022.
- No phone calls will be entertained.
- Only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.