Call for Application: Finance Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Application Deadline: February 20, 2023
Type of Contract: Full-time
Post Level: Officer
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: One year initially (Extendable)
At Yiaga Africa Initiative, we seek an exceptional candidate to support our Finance Department as a Finance Officer.
Yiaga Africa is committed to achieving a diverse, vibrant, innovative, and engaged workforce working to achieve the organization’s vision of a people-driven, developed, and democratic Africa.
Yiaga Africa promotes diversity in terms of gender, nationality, religion/belief, culture, and other forms of diversity.
For this role, young women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Yiaga Africa does not tolerate sexual exploitation and harassment, abuse, or any harassment and discrimination. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference, background checks, and training.
In our vision to be the Yiaga Africa of the future, we seek to hire a creative-minded and experienced candidate with an excellent Financial background to join our team.
The Finance Officer, under the supervision of the Head of Finance, will assist the Finance department in adhering to the compliance procedures for all operational and program-related activities and Yiaga Africa’s financial implementation and ensure adequate internal controls are in place and compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements, and Yiaga Africa’s policies and procedures.
If you have the required skills and experiences to excel as a Finance Officer in our organization, do apply now!
The position is for Twelve (12) months, subject to renewal based on performance and funding availability. The post holder would be expected to work 40 hours a week. The position has a competitive salary as obtainable in the industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Head of Finance in enhancing the efficiency of the existing control system and ensure any identified compliance gaps are corrected.
- Enter transactions into the accounting software accurately.
- Assist with preparing Monthly Payroll related statutory remittances (PAYE, Pensions, NHF, NSITF)
- Assist the team in the preparation of Monthly Balance Sheet Reconciliations.
- Sorting and reviewing timesheets for coding, leave, holidays, etc.
- Managing Finance archiving and ensuring monthly updates of the finance archiving index.
- Support audits (donor, internal, external, statutory) by retrieving and refilling documents.
- Make payments on the bank platforms, print off all payment vouchers, and match them with the document to be filled.
- Coordinate with all Program officers to collect necessary documents and ensure proper documentation after return from field activities.
- Ensure all income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT, and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly.
- Work closely with the Finance and program departments to ensure the Standard Operating Procedures for voucher redemption are adequately followed.
- Assists with the monitoring of expenditures to ensure they remain within authorized levels. Examines the validity of requests for increases in imprest levels; prepares disbursement vouchers to replenish imprest accounts.
- Investigates erroneous charges and take appropriate corrective accounting actions.
- Scrutinizes source documents for completeness, accuracy, and validity of charges.
- Assists in financial management, tracking, preparing payment letters, drafting financial statements to donors, and recording them accordingly.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Yiaga Africa and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other Responsibilities as Assigned.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the values and ethical standards of Yiaga Africa.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of Yiaga Africa.
- Displays gender, region, religion/belief, race, nationality, culture, age sensitivity, and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan, and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform various standard tasks related to the provision of financial services.
- Good knowledge of Yiaga Africa's financial rules and regulations.
- Good IT skills.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control, and good-humoured even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, or any related field
- Must possess professional certifications, e.g. ACCA
- At least five(5) years or more experience in an international NGO's finance/compliance department is preferred.
- Familiarity with office machines (e.g. scanners, printers, etc.)
- Knowledge of office management and basic bookkeeping
- Proficient in English (oral and written)
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office packages (especially Excel and Word)
- Strong communication and people skills
- Good organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Problem-solving skills.
Fluency in written and spoken English. Proficiency in Hausa or French will be a plus.
How to apply
Interested candidates should fill out the job application form and upload their detailed
resume containing their LinkedIn ID, Age, Address, and the contact of referees in MS Word
documents here. Submission should be concluded on or before February 20, 2023.
Only applications sent in the required format will be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Application will be considered on a rolling basis. Only candidates resident in Abuja will be considered.