Position: Program Coordinator, Legislative Engagement
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract Duration: 2 years and renewable
Position Type: Full time
The Youth Initiative for Advocacy, Growth & Advancement (YIAGA) is an independent non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of democratic governance and development in Africa. YIAGA is working to strengthen the legislative arm of government in Nigeria through research, capacity development and technical assistance.
The Program Coordinator will work with a team in the legislative engagement program of YIAGA. The Coordinator will take a significant lead in YIAGA’s intervention in strengthening the legislature through innovative research, capacity development and citizens’ participation. The individual will serve as the Director of the YIAGA Centre for Legislative Engagement.
- Coordinate the legislative engagement program of YIAGA
- Initiate and coordinate research in the areas of legislative practice and procedure
- Initiate and coordinate the development of knowledge products on legislative practices and procedures, constituency office management, budgeting, oversight functions and other related topics.
- Design and implement programs and projects that responds to the capacity needs of the legislative arm of government in Nigeria;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of YIAGA’s work plan on legislative engagement
- Undertake bills analysis, scrutiny and tracking of bills in the legislature
- Establish and maintain partnerships/linkages with the legislative arm of government, academic institutions, policy institutes, think-tanks, civil society etc.
- Coordinate the development of databases on all aspects of legislative work
- Develop strategies for providing legislative support services to the National and State legislatures
- Promote citizens’ participation in legislative processes
- Designing and implementing a resource mobilization strategy for YIAGA’s legislative engagement program
- A Doctorate degree or Master’s degree in legislative studies, law, political science, sociology, public policy, democratic governance or related discipline;
- 5 years Post-Masters experience in legislative engagement, academic research or
- Excellent English language skills; written and spoken;
- Candidates should be knowledgeable in advanced legislative practice and procedure and project management.
- Strong knowledge of Information Technology (IT) and use of various Internet tools;
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently and under pressure;
- Flexibility in your approach within our rapidly changing environment.
- Candidates with strong evidence of research and publications will be given priority consideration.
How to apply
Interested candidates should write not more than a two-page cover letter and send with a detailed resume as attached PDF documents to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Monday 24th April 2017. Only applications sent in the required format will be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
“YIAGA is an equal –opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of disability, sex, tribe, religion, etc. Qualified women are especially encouraged to apply”