The Young Parliamentarians Forum (YPF), National Assembly in partnership with the Youth Initiative for Advocacy Growth and Advancement (YIAGA) is hosting a colloquium on Youth and the Future of Democracy in Nigeria to commemorate 18 years of Nigeria’s return to democracy since 1999. The program is designed to stimulate discourse on the role of youth in deepening democracy in Nigeria. The event will bring together young legislators, youth and students groups, civil society group, political parties to discuss the state of Nigeria’s democracy, democratic practices, pattern, priorities, problems and prospects for the future. The colloquium will feature a moderated panel session to discuss how young people can contribute to democratic consolidation.
The Colloquium will attempt to provide answers to the following:
- Why is inclusion, participation, transparency and accountability, freedom of belief, conscience, and expression essential to democracy?
- What responsibilities does democracy place upon citizens especially youth?
- Is Democracy truly a representation of the choice of the people or a ruling class?
The objectives of the program are;
- To provide a platform for reflection on the contributions of youth to Nigeria’s democracy;
- To discuss the future of democracy in Nigeria;
- To underscore the need for youth political participation as a catalyst for democratic sustainability
Interested participants are required to register to attend the colloquium scheduled to hold on May 26, 2017 at the National Assembly Abuja. Application is FREE. Click here to register
Registration deadline: May 20, 2017
All logistics associated with participating at this event will be covered by the participants. The organizers will not provide accommodation or transportation for participants.